Thursday 28 October 2010

Discovering Batiks

A few months ago, I bought 4", 5" and 6.5" pre-cut packs on etsy, and recently I added some 5" charm packs from Connecting Threads to the mix. I do like the look of batiks, though I'm still trying to figure out how to mix and match them.


The pre-cuts have quite a mix of plant prints and tie-died fabrics, which is nice - all patterned would be a bit much for me.


Can you tell I can't get enough of these? :)


I decided that these batiks would be handy to try a larger curved-piecing project, so I printed out Crispy's 6" block for a drunkard's path, and lo and behold, once I added the seam allowance to her template, the pieces fit perfectly onto charm packs and the 6.5" squares I have :)
I did one practice block to make sure the seams are working - I'll redo this one though, because I have a near-pucker in the center, must practice the curved-piecing a bit more!


I played around with colour matches for a while - I'm going to have to spend some more time on this, because some of the combinations don't have enough contrast...



This will be my main project for the quilt retreat which is coming up in a bit more than a week, hooray! I'm so very much looking forward to the retreat! (Same as last year).

3 comments:

Leslie said...

this is going to be amazing...they look great together.

Lane said...

I love batiks as well. I have two small bins crammed full of them. I've been collecting for a quilt for Rob for years and he can't pick a pattern for me to make with them. I've started sneaking bits out of there and using in my own projects. Lane

Crispy said...

Soooo are you sewing these by hand? ROFL I love batiks too, and am saving a pile of them for a special project....someday :0)

Crispy