Tuesday 27 April 2010

The other day was wash day, or should I say pre-wash day?

I pre-wash my fabrics on hot and spin them in the washing machine before quilting.


Sometimes I get a reminder why I have a good reason to take perfectly smooth straight fabric and make it all crinkly, apart from all the work of hand-washing in hot water, hanging the fabric to dry and ironing it...

I don't know if Should colour catchers would have taken that much dye out of the wash...


Once again, I'm confirmed in my pre-washing habit :)

4 comments:

Quilting Queen said...

Really good idea...I made a valance (quilted squares) of pre-washed fabrics and when I took it down to spruce up, some of the colours ran...navy is a bad one and some reds. I also have a green cloth I now use for scrubbing..had it over a year and it still bleeds. Smart girl, you.

Crispy said...

Oh yeah, I'm with you on this one. Some don't pre-wash and have gotten away with it but I'm never so lucky :0)

Crispy

Bella Linguini said...

That is a LOT of color running out! It's really surprising.

Lane said...

I'm also an avid pre-washer. But,I usually machine wash. Aren't you glad you do? I've only had one red fabric run after prewashing and i know that one fabric won't shrink at a different rate than all the others. Lane