Monday 5 October 2009

Earlier Than Planned

Well, I got those pictures up earlier than planned, so you'll get the pre-finished product (binding still to be done)!

Here's a preview of the quilted burgundy baby quilt with the floating coins.


I planned to quilt on it Friday night, but when I picked up my free motion foot, the piece that goes above the needle-screw was broken off. How very strange. It didn't happen during sewing and hasn't been touched in the attachment storage box. Oh well, so I had to go to the quilt store the next morning to get a new foot. When I started sewing with it, strange things happened in the tips of the stippling loops - the top thread would skip three stitches and form a straight line across. See next picture for two examples:


I was planning to blog about it and ask for your opinion, but I figured out later that the foot needed oiling because the spring that pushes the foot down to hold the fabric during sewing was stuck. I think that caused the missed top/bottom thread connections in the corner. It didn't happen after oiling the foot, but by then I had ripped out bad loops for the 4th time in a 10 cm section, phew!


The back is a pink flanelette and the binding a matching pink/burgundy peacock feather print.

3 comments:

Crispy said...

Oh Sunshine, that is just beautiful, your quilting really makes the coins pop. You clever girl, figuring out the foot needed to be oiled. It's a shame you had to take out so many stitches though.

Crispy

Unknown said...

Whoa, you sure put a quilt together well! I love how the coins really stand out. We become mechanics when sewing is involved don't we?

Jocelyn said...

Very lovely.