Sunday 4 October 2009

Another Convert

My visitor last month was my mother who was here for 3 weeks. She watched me quilt for my class and was very excited by the whole process. She asked me to make a quilt for a friend of hers, as commission work. When I suggested that she could also learn to quilt, she was quite taken by the idea. At first, I thought I'd let her choose a charm pack to sew together as a baby quilt, but she doesn't really know anyone with babies, so we decided to increase the size to lap quilt for her couch by adding wonky sashing to the blocks.

She picked out 30 charms from the Tranquility series by MODA, navy gackground for the front and white for the back.

We took pictures of the different background fabrics to help her decide:

I cut the sashing fabric for her and explained how to sew the blocks together. She got almost all of them done here!


Next time I'm visiting her, I'll bring my cutting mat/cutter/ruler to let her square each block up and explain how to sew them together.

The back will be white with just 8 charm squares arranged in a 3-2-3 row layout. I have to buy more of the white fabric before I can cut those pieces, though.

She seems to like it a lot so far, so maybe we have another convert!!!

6 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

Nice that you converted your mom :) also great to get someone involved in this.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Pokey said...

What a great teacher you are, from showing mom how to audition fabric choices, to the sewing and square up lesson. Mom is going to be a quilter before you know it!

Crispy said...

What a good daughter you are to convert your mother LOL. Just think, if she really gets hooked, you can raid eachother's stashes.

Crispy

Unknown said...

Reminds me of a friend who visited and I had her make her own birthday present....a good one for your mom...now she makes her own...

Una said...

Looks like she did a great job. Such a nice story! How wonderful for her to have a caring daughter to teach her something to bring her joy. You both will look back on this with warm affections! Take care, Una

Una said...

Me again! It seems I cannot answer your comment in an e-mail, so I will paste my answer here in response:
Christine!

Amazing that we should be working on the same project at the same time! I hope (for her and your sake) that your mother will be bitten by the bug. It is a joy to learn such a rewarding hobby.

Yes, Diane G is something else. When I started out quilting about fourteen years ago, I was not attracted to machine quilting. at. all! But after seeing the work of bloggers around the world (I only started reading blogs in 2006(!)) I was converted. I started to love stippling. And I still do. And I found how addictive it is to stipple.

Your post about your beautiful floating coin quilt was very interesting. I have found out that machine quilting takes its toll on the machine. At the end of this quilting session, the thread would constantly break. I do not know what the problem was, but something was bugging my sewing buddy. Maybe some oil is in order!

I love what DG sometimes finishes her posts with:
"Keep quilting, your work gets better every day!"

So encouraging,

Thank you for your kind words, and for stopping by :-)
Take care,
Una