Saturday 8 August 2009

UFO Progress

Right after I posted my to do list, I got down to business and started basting. I finished the backing for the character quilt, here's the wrong side of it, taped down for layering.


As soon as I was done that, I got out the oriental quilt and basted it, here it is all done:


And after all this, my poor fingers, especially my thumb, looked like this:


Thanks to that blister, I first tried pinning with my left, and eventually just did some awkward contortions with my fingers to avoid that same spot and got it done :)

I finished basic quilting on the oriental quilt the following day: about a 1/4" on the inside of all the sashing, and I'm proud to report that after some pulling and tightening while quilting, there are no folds on the front or back, what a feat... a reason why I usually don't like intersecting lines!

6 comments:

Crispy said...

OUCH!! Well worth the pain for a wrinkle free quilt. HOORAY !!

Crispy

Jocelyn said...

I agree with Crispy :-) A double hooray!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

LOL your fingers look like mine always do.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Heather said...

ouch. i just haven't been up to quilting lately. i'm glad to see you're still at it. :)

Unknown said...

It's why I use spray for basting. I clamp the fabric down and as I have a large table I have been successful in having the quilts come out without the puckering I had when I first started.
Your work is lovely..I love the back of this quilt! I must get creative with mine...

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

I am making a coins quilt too. Sorry about the blister - see a needle mark as well. I don't think most people realize how dangerous a sport quilting is.